Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Toxic Cosmetics ingredients

I am apart of the PNN network and there is a member named April Duke who writes about alot of health and beauty topics and I wanted to share one of her posts on Toxic Cosmetics ingredients. Do you know what you are putting on your face? And is it toxic? Find out at April's post here:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh for the days of blissful ignorance, when I could simply shop for the makeup in the cutest packaging, or the sleekest compact - instead of choosing my makeup by reading a list of ingredients that you need a degree in chemistry to interperet. I do realize that makeup was no less harmful and the chemicals no less damaging - in fact, it was likely worse before the pioneers in green cosmetics began to raise awareness, but I still miss those days.

Now days, shopping for cosmetics is a scientific endeavor! It used to take me quite a bit of time to read through the list, trying to remember what was what, and what to avoid. So I decided to make it a bit easier on myself. When I shop for cosmetics, I have a basic list of things to scan the ingredient list for. Here are my top 5 ingredients to avoid:

Parabens:

Parabens are used as preservatives in cosmetics, and it has been suggested that it may be both a carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) and may have negative effects on hormone levels. There are many chemicals in this family, the most common being methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben. I usually just avoid any ingredient that ends in "paraben".

Phthalates:

This chemical is used as a "plasticizer", which is exactly what it sounds like... a chemical that makes something "plastic-like". Usually only found in nail polish, it is a toxic substance that affects the reproductive system.

Petroleum:

You mean, the stuff they make gas out of? Yep, not a reassuring thought, eh? Petroleum is found in MANY cosmetic products including mascara and foot powder. It is sometimes listed as "Paraffin".

Nanoparticles:

Thought "nano" anything was relegated to the world of sci fi? Think again. Nanoparticles are found in the form of zinc and titanium dioxides, generally in sunscreens and liquid foundation. These particles are so small that they are absorbed into the brain, causing cell damage.

Fragrance:

I know, I know, fragrance? But the truth is, most artificial fragrances are known neurotoxins -- a dirty truth the cosmetic companies do not want you to know. It's generally best to avoid all product that have added fragrance. Instead, look for items with naturally occuring fragrances.

I know that paring my "list to look for" down to a manageable size has helped me - I hope it does the same for you!

---------------------------------------------------
Interesting info huh!

No comments:

Petite modeling source for advice and tips on modeling and modeling photos and inspiration for the petite models.